Yesterday, we covered the ways Amazon has given third-party sellers access to enhanced A+ content for their product pages. So does this mean Amazon has given smaller brands the content tools to compete with big brands?
We think not. The reason? Small sellers might be able to publish A+ content, but they still can’t create strategic content on Amazon.
Before we get into what strategic content is and why it’s so important, let’s review why brands big and small are clamoring for content on their Amazon product pages.
What’s the Big Deal, Anyway?
While statistics vary, Amazon claims that adding A+ content to product pages increases sales 3% to 10%. Beyond boosting conversion rates, enhanced product pages have been shown to help with the following:
- Improved shopper engagement
- Decreased return rates
- Better reviews
- Stronger offline sales
- Higher market share
- Better placement in Google search results
- Better placement in Amazon’s internal search results
Four Ways to Add Strategic Content
So we can agree that enhanced content is essential. But here’s the thing: in many categories a majority of top-selling products already have Amazon A+ content.
These days, you need to go beyond enhanced content and create strategic content for Amazon. Strategic content is the area where large brands continue to have a distinct competitive advantage over small brands. The Amazon Vendor Central platform, available only to large wholesale vendors, is what makes a strategic approach to content possible.
Here are four ways we have been working with Amazon vendors to create strategic content:
- Up-to-Date Content – Amazon Vendor Central allows brands to refresh content on a regular basis to keep it consistent with your current marketing initiatives and to allow brands to react quickly to market changes
- SEO-Optimized Content – Amazon Vendor Central tools make it possible to come up with a search engine optimization strategy involving keyword usage in titles and enhanced content
- Paid Content – Amazon has keyword and sponsored ad content similar to what’s available on Google which can be a great way to gain market share
- Content Analytics – Amazon analytics can be combined with other tools to help optimize your content strategy
Amazon vendors should take advantage of the ability to update and refresh content as this is a central part of creating innovative, strategic content that keeps up with ecommerce.